- A Tough Question: Would a loving God really send people to hell?
- Some Easy Questions – about heaven.
- A Tough Place: What is hell really like?
- A Tough Day: Is there a Judgement Day coming?
- A Glorious Day: How should we think about the Second Coming of Jesus Christ?
DO BUSINESS TILL I COME (Luke 19:13)
Matthew chapter 24 quotes Jesus about the Second Coming
more than any other chapter in the Gospels
3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”
4 And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you (Don’t get sidetracked) 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. 6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.
9 “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake. 10 And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another.
11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved.
14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.
Much of what is taught about the Second Coming can be a distraction
- It gets us to major on the minors
- It consumes us so we don’t get the job done
- It gives us a lackadaisical, lethargic, or complacent attitude
But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only.
Here are my eschatological views and Love Joy’s in 3 words:
Jesus is coming!
- We don’t base our service or obedience to Christ on the perceived fulfillment of prophecy about His coming
- We base our service and obedience on our love and personal relationship with Christ and the literal infallible, inerrant, inspired Scriptures
- We don’t base doctrine on interpretation of scripture
- Doctrine is based on scripture itself!
21 Irrefutable Facts of the Second Coming
- Jesus Himself will come again
1 Thessalonians 4:16: For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God.
- Jesus Himself will receive us
John 14:3: And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.
- We will meet Him in the air
1 Thessalonians 4:17: Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.
- He will minister to those who are found watchful
Luke 12:37: Blessed are those servants whom the master, when he comes, will find watching. Assuredly, I say to you that he will gird himself and have them sit down to eat, and will come and serve them.
- He will return to the earth
Acts 1:11: …who also said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.”
- He will return to the Mount of Olives
Zechariah 14:4: And in that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives
- He will return in flaming fire
2 Thessalonians 1:7–8: and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, 8 in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- He will come with power and great glory
Matthew 24:30: And they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
- He will stand on the earth
Job 19:25: For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. (ESV)
- He will destroy the antichrist
2 Thessalonians 2:8: And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming.
- He will sit on the throne of His glory
Matthew 25:31: “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory.
- He will be given the throne of David
Luke 1:32 He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David.
- He will be given the nations
Psalm 2:8 Ask of Me, and I will give You The nations for Your inheritance, And the ends of the earth for Your possession.
- He will gather all nations and judge them
Matthew 25:32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats.
- He will reign on the earth
Jeremiah 23:5 “Behold, the days are coming,” says the Lord, “That I will raise to David a Branch of righteousness; A King shall reign and prosper, and execute judgment and righteousness in the earth.
- He will be given the kingdoms of this world
Revelation 11:15 The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!
- He will be given dominion
Daniel 7:14 Then to Him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, And His kingdom the one which shall not be destroyed.
- All who are in the graves will hear His voice
John 5:28 Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice
- Every eye will see Him
Revelation 1:7 Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him.
- Every knee will bow
Isaiah 45:22–23 “Look to Me, and be saved, all you ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other. 23 I have sworn by Myself; The word has gone out of My mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, that to Me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall take an oath.
Philippians 2:9–11 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
- We can hasten the coming of the Lord
2 Peter 3:12: …looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God
But he who endures to the end shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.